Re: Another newbie (problems with installation)

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 01:40:24PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> Patrick Klee wrote:
>
> >> I'm not sure what problem you're describing.
> >>
> >> If your machine will boot off the CD, don't worry about floppies (except
> >> to make a boot floppy near the end of the install for emergency
> >> purposes). If your machine won't boot off the CD, you have to create
> >> some boot/root floppies to get the process started, but rather than go
> >> into details, let me just ask that you post further information as to
> >> what problems you're having.
> >>
> >> Kent
> >>

> > I can't boot off of the CD's but I start to install the drivers off of
> > floppies, and it loads for about 5 seconds, then says it can't find the
> > file, something like /lib/modules/ not found.
> >
> > Oh, now I just found out that when I boot from the rescue floppy.  After it
> > loads into the install screen, or as it is loading, I get a rolling screen
> > of errors, that says can't load something/li b/modules, I think.  No my
> > friend, burnt the CDs and created the floppies and he got everything
> > working, so I know it is probably me, I just can't find the problem, and I
> > am pretty sure I tried everything at least I can think of.  It there a
> > troubleshooting HOWTO?  HELP!!!  :-)
> >
> > I REALLY want this install to work, I am usin debian in college and I want
> > to be able to comple and run my homework at home.

<snip>

It has been a long time since I've done a floppy install.  I do remember
having the problem your describing.  I also remember "solving" it by
either downloading fresh floppy images from a different mirror of the
current version at that time or grabbing the images from the prior
release and then upgrading once I had the base installed.  If no one
else has a better idea you might try that.
hth,
kent

--
I'd really love ta wana help ya Flanders but... Homer Simpson