Re: small fonts in netscape

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 08:49:10AM -0500, mike polniak wrote:
> 	The tiny fonts in Netscape arise because X interprets font sizes to
> be about 2 points smaller than windows does. So Netscape type in linux appears
> smaller compared to windows (which most sites use). This is not too bad at large
> font sizes but it becomes too small as the fonts get smaller.

Um, you sure it's not because Netscape is brain-damaged?

Look at your Netscape.ad files and see what Netscape does when you have
HTML with <FONT SIZE="-1">....

! There are 7 font sizes, 1 thru 7.  The default font is 3, and the others
! are based on this.  The default increment is 20%, which means that the 4
! is 20% larger than the 3, the 5 is 40% larger, and so on.
!
*documentFonts.sizeIncrement:   20

Yes, that means that "-1" is a 20% change in the size of a font.  A nice
crisp font quickly becomes unreadable when it gets cut by 20% at each
step, or insanely huge when it grows by 20% for each step.

Add this to ~/.Xresources:

Netscape*documentFonts.sizeIncrement:   5

Then do 'xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources'.  (This should be done automatically
on future logins, but why bother logging out of X just to fix Netscape?)

Now, restart Netscape and it should be MUCH more legible.

(And, no, I have no idea why the 20% default other than massive drug
use.)

--
CueCat decoder .signature by Larry Wall:
#!/usr/bin/perl -n