Re: small fonts in netscape

Joshua Kruck wrote:
> These HOWTOs talk about files i don't have, specifically .Xdefaults and
> .Xreasources. They also mention a microsoft font pack for X. Does anyone
> know anything about this/ what i can do about it? thanks
> Joshua
>
> There's a couple of HOWTOs on fonts that helped me. Both of them have a
> section on Netscape:
>
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU/index.html
>
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Font-HOWTO.html
>
> Tom
>

> Joshua Kruck wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > Does anyone have this same problem? I run my monitor at 1600x1200, so
> > know my text is going to be small. But some stuff is really tiny, i
> have
> > always had this problem. Is there anything i can do/ fonts i forgot to
>
> > install that would fix this?

	The tiny fonts in Netscape arise because X interprets font sizes to
be about 2 points smaller than windows does. So Netscape type in linux appears
smaller compared to windows (which most sites use). This is not too bad at large
font sizes but it becomes too small as the fonts get smaller.
	The solution of setting 100dpi ahead of 75dpi in the font path will
make the larger fonts too large. So the best solution is to only offset the
small fonts (6,7,8 pts) to appear as 9 pt fonts. And leave the larger fonts
as is. The best way to do this is with TrueType fonts and fonts.alias.
	Follow the tips at these url's to get the best solution:

http://home.c2i.net/dark/linux.html#ttf
http://www.joerg-pommnitz.de/TrueType/xfsft.html
http://www.paulandlesley.org/linux/debian_tt.html