Re: Netscape Woes

on Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 12:51:45PM -0600, ktb (x.y.f@home.com) wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 08:12:22AM -0500, Howell Caton wrote:
> >
> > As a complete newbie, I had to install linux 2.2 several times before I got
> > all the kinks worked out.  Each time I downloaded netscape 2.76 from
> > ftp.netscape.com.  I'd get the error message "libstdc++=libc6.1-1.so.2
> > not available".  I solved that by linking it to libstdc++=libc6.1-2.so.3,
> > which is probably not relevant, but I don't know for sure.  Anyway, it
> > worked.
> >
> > The last time I re-installed, I used netscape 3.? from the Debian
> > distribution.  It worked, but was hopelessly outdated.  So I downloaded
> > 4.76 again and installed it over my 3.? installation.  When I ran it, I got
> > a "bus error" message.  Thinking that some files from my 3.? version
> > wer still around causing incompatibitites with 4.76 stuff, I ripped
> > everything out
> > and re-installed 4.76.  I still got the "bus error" message.
> >
> > I don't have a clue about how to troubleshoot this problem.  Can anyone
> > help?
> > Thanks!
> >

> First I don't know why you did the multiple installs of debian.
> Sometimes it is warranted but for the most part you can fix problems
> without reboots and reinstalling.  I'm sure you gained some valuable
> install experience though.

My experience has been that three installs of a new distro are often
warrented:  once to see how it works, twice to try to get it right,
thrice to get it right.  And yes, it's a good way to learn.  Best thing
to do is to keep the install to a minimum, allowing you to cycle through
the sequence quickly.  I tend to like to play extensively with
partitioning and such.  I almost always find I did something that I'd
prefer to have differently.

> As to your current dilemma I would suggest you make life easy for
> yourself and use "apt-get."  I would clean out the netscape stuff you
> already have and "apt-get install netscape-smotif-476"

Ditto.