Netscape Woes

As a complete newbie, I had to install linux 2.2 several times before I got
all the kinks worked out.  Each time I downloaded netscape 2.76 from
ftp.netscape.com.  I'd get the error message "libstdc++=libc6.1-1.so.2
not available".  I solved that by linking it to libstdc++=libc6.1-2.so.3,
which is probably not relevant, but I don't know for sure.  Anyway, it
worked.

The last time I re-installed, I used netscape 3.? from the Debian
distribution.  It worked, but was hopelessly outdated.  So I downloaded
4.76 again and installed it over my 3.? installation.  When I ran it, I got
a "bus error" message.  Thinking that some files from my 3.? version
wer still around causing incompatibitites with 4.76 stuff, I ripped
everything out
and re-installed 4.76.  I still got the "bus error" message.

I don't have a clue about how to troubleshoot this problem.  Can anyone
help?
Thanks!