Re: Netscape Woes

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 08:12:22AM -0500, Howell Caton wrote:

> As a complete newbie, I had to install linux 2.2 several times before I got
> all the kinks worked out.  Each time I downloaded netscape 2.76 from
> ftp.netscape.com.  I'd get the error message "libstdc++=libc6.1-1.so.2
> not available".  I solved that by linking it to libstdc++=libc6.1-2.so.3,
> which is probably not relevant, but I don't know for sure.  Anyway, it
> worked.
>
> The last time I re-installed, I used netscape 3.? from the Debian
> distribution.  It worked, but was hopelessly outdated.  So I downloaded
> 4.76 again and installed it over my 3.? installation.  When I ran it, I got
> a "bus error" message.  Thinking that some files from my 3.? version
> wer still around causing incompatibitites with 4.76 stuff, I ripped
> everything out
> and re-installed 4.76.  I still got the "bus error" message.
>
> I don't have a clue about how to troubleshoot this problem.  Can anyone
> help?
> Thanks!

First I don't know why you did the multiple installs of debian.  Sometimes it is
warranted but for the most part you can fix problems without reboots and
reinstalling.  I'm sure you gained some valuable install experience though.

As to your current dilemma I would suggest you make life easy for
yourself and use "apt-get."  I would clean out the netscape stuff you
already have and "apt-get install netscape-smotif-476"

Make sure you have your /etc/apt/sources.list in order.  See "man
apt-get" and "man sources.list".  Afterall apt-get is one of the things
that makes debian so wonderful to use:)
hth,
kent

--
I'd really love ta wana help ya Flanders but... Homer Simpson