Re: ftp and passwords

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 10:55:54AM -0700, Jason Mogavero wrote:

> Not to pick a nit, but secure passwords aren't even a speedbump if you're
> being sniffed.  (though they ARE good practice)

quite true.  what i was really suggesting is make them use passwords
20 times more obfuscated then you would normally enforce on a ssh/scp
user.  and make them change it once a week. eventually the
inconvenience might entice them to switch to ssh.  (otoh they would
probably be more likely to find one of those `save my password in
cleartext, as insecurely as possible' checkboxes littered about
windows.  but thats where the weekly change comes in ;-)  maybe may it
a daily change..  </bofh>

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/