Re: internet connection sharing

%% Omar Shuja Siddiqui <omarshuja@yahoo.com> writes:

  oss> i have recently installed a network of to Linux boxes.
  oss> one of them is a working dial up machine. i want to
  oss> share the internet connection with the other Linux box
  oss> also. please tell me what is the whole procedure for
  oss> doing this.

The most common way to do this in Linux is called IP Masquerade, or
IPMasq.

See the HOWTO for how to do it:

  http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO.html

I had this working with a dialup 56k modem over ppp, where my wife's
laptop was sharing the link (we have wireless enet cards for the home
lan).  Worked fine (well, as fine as two people sharing a 56k modem
could be expected to work :).

Now we have a cable modem connection, and that also works great--with
much better bandwidth :).

If you're going to be connected more continuously than dialup you should
seriously consider hardening that system to avoid someone hacking
through it into your home network.  Check the IP Chains HOWTO, at the
above site.  There are other Security-related docs floating about as
well.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools