RE: ftp and passwords

> this way when the ftplusers password is sniffed the attacker will only
> be able to login to a chrooted ftp directory.  you should probably set
> disk quotas for the ftp users as well.  force the users to use GOOD
> passwords as well.  (perhaps set thier shell to /usr/bin/passwd and
> allow ssh (i suppose telnet since win* users refuse to be secure)
> access so they can change the password.)  make them change thier
> password once a week until they start using secure protocols such as
> ssh.

Not to pick a nit, but secure passwords aren't even a speedbump if you're
being sniffed.  (though they ARE good practice)

> > the hint "use ssh" is not practicable for me.

If that's the case, there's a very good graphical SCP (secure copy) program
for Win32 called ixplorer.  It rides on top of the command-line scp.exe that
comes with PuTTY (it includes it though) and isn't the most sophisticated
thing in the world, but it works and is easy to use.

Insist they download and use this program if you're truly worried about
security.  It's at http://www.i-tree.org

There's no way to minimize the risk of your network traffic being sniffed
aside from encryption.  Ethan's suggestions will help secure that machine in
the event your unencrypted login info IS sniffed out, but you really have no
excuse not to have them use ssh/scp, even for windows.  There are plenty of
free ssh clients for Win32...if your users can use ftp, they should have the
brainpower to use a win32 ssh client.

Jason Mogavero
Sr. Network Engineer
Inflow, Inc