problem playing audio CD's

Hi,

I'm new to the multimedia things under Linux :)
I have the problem that I can't play audio CD's on my computer.
I've installed everyhting that's related to sound properly - so I'm able
to play mp3s, *.wav,etc. with freeamp for example, but when I put in a
CD (even CD's I bought, no CD-R or CD-RW) and I want to mount it I get:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom or too
many mounted file systems

Even as root I can't do it!  This is how /etc/fstab looks like:

/dev/cdrom       /cdrom       iso9660
defaults,user,noauto,ro          0                0

When I start 'gcd 2.91' under Gnome I get this:

"Unable to open cd device. Please make sure that you are using teh
correct device and that you have permission to access the device......"
The cd-drive works perfectely fine with every CD (cd-rom). So it's not
the cd-drive that's not working!

What am I missing, or what am I doing wrong? Any ideas for a good
cd-player?

TIA!!
Philipp