Re: 2-part NIC question

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 11:51:09AM -0500, DSC Lithuania wrote:
> I have Debian 1.3, and managed to bring my system up with my 4 Megs of Ram
> and 80386.  Thanks, all for the help in that.  However, I have two new questions
> relating to a new problem.
>
> I still can't bring my CompexRL2000A card up.  On the Drivers Installation
> page, I can choose NE2000 , but it does not recognize the card.  Now, I
> also have not been able to get it working under Win95: the system at
> one point uninstalled the PCI Bios driver, saying that PCI Bios was not
> present.  Which might be the source of the problem.  Or, alternatively,
> it may be that the Debian 1.3.1 installation's NE2000 driver is not the same
> as the ne2k-pci driver.
>
> So does anyone know (1) Is my 386 motherboard BIOS too old for the
> Linux drivers to interface with NE2000 card?  (2) Is the NE2000 driver
> presented on the installation pages old, and not the same as the ne2k-pci
> driver?  (3) Is there some other problem that I am missing, instead?

Hmm, if this is a 386 I'd be surprised if it's got a pci bus - I've
never seena 386 with a pci bus anyway :)

So, I'm going on the assumption that you've got an ne2000 isa clone.
There are known problems with these - some cards do not contain teh
correct id string.  I read this in one of the HOWTOs, the NET HOWTO
IIRC.

As a rule I don't use ne2000 cards cos I think they suck, so I can't
provide much more help here :/

Good luck,

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.