Re: X failure-- Help, please....

Tom Schuetz wrote:

Two things:

I'm running potato, and I know my mouse is a ps/2, but it won't respond at
all when I'm running the VGA server.

You might check the Debian Mail archives for the past couple of months; there's been quite a bit of discussion about mice and X lately. For a short answer (but perhaps unsatisfactory in the long run), disable gpm if you have it running, and in XF86Config specify that your mouse is on "/dev/psaux" and that the protocol is set to "PS/2".

As for the SVGA server, I get this on startx:

X: exec of usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA failed
_X11TranSocketUNIXConnect: can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.

xinit: connection refused (errno 111) unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error

So, I've checked, and the SVGA server exists where it should. I've gone into
the XF86config file, but don't really know what to look for! I would really
appreciate some advice.

Tom

Since the "exec" of XF86_SVGA "failed", it may be a permissions problem on that file. Mine's set to:
rwxr-xr-x root root

It could also be a corrupted file (not particularly likely). You might try reinstalling it.