Re: lightweight caching www proxy

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> on Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 09:42:29PM +1030, David Purton (dcpurton@chariot.net.au) wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I'm looking to set up a caching www proxy on my dialup machine.
> >
> > Can anybody recommend a lightweight option here?
> >
> > I looked at squid, but it seems a bit of an overkill for what I want.
>
> Define your needs.  You can configure Squid to your needs (though I find
> it's best to run it on a dedicated system -- it works better with more
> memory and disk, and can tend to slaughter a desktop).
>
> wwwoffl really answers a different problem.

I use a number of web browsers on my home dialup desktop system, and
would just prefer it to cache stuff in a slighly more efficient way than
what it would do if just using each web broswer cache separately.

Squid seemed to offer much more than what I needed.

I installed wwwoffle, and it seems to do what I want.

Anything that I should know, but don't :) ?

Today people in droves hurry up past Heumoz to Villars
on the road to the ski hills, so they can rush down them
as fast as possible, so they can hurry up again in order
to rush down again.  In a way this is funny,...

			Francis A Schaeffer

David Purton

http://www.chariot.net.au/~dcpurton/
dcpurton@chariot.net.au