Re: DHCP questions for dispose5@hotmail.com

on Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 12:17:12AM -0000, Dis Pose (dispose5@hotmail.com) wrote:
> I'm not subscribed to the list, so please cc me on any replies.
>
> I'm a current dialup user, changing to DSL imminently.  I also have a
> LAN Masqueraded behing that connection and plan to continue that.
>
> My (new) DSL provider tells me I need to use DHCP to obtain my IP address,
> etc.  No problem there, I remember that Debian has DHCP-related packages
> listed in dselect.
>
> Now comes the problem.
>
> There are too many packages to know where to start.

6,700 and change, last I checked.

> Could you provide a brief explanation (beyond that in dselect) of which
> packages are intended for what purposes?  There seem to be a number of
> pacakges which apparently do the same thing, and there's no way for me
> to know which to use and why.

There is some duplication of functionality.  Pick what you want to do
the job.  If the application is critical, ask for guidance.  If you can
handle multiple programs on your system, try several out -- e.g.:
mutliple X terminals are probably OK, likewise shells.  You probably
want only one MTA (e.g.: exim, sendmail, postfix) and webserver (e.g.:
apache, thttp (I think)).

I have been using apt-cache to check on and evaluate packages as I'm
building a new system right now:

    $ apt-cache search <string>
    $ apt-cache show <package list>

...will search for packages with descriptive text matching 'string',
then provide a detailed description of a list of packages.

> BTW, if it matters, I run BIND on a machine *behind* the gateway, for
> 192.168.* addresses.  I have on intention of moving this to the gateway,
> or anything else of course, for security reasons.  But if there is any
> information I'll need as a result of this, please advise me.

BIND is occasionally subject to security exploits.  Might want to keep
it well within your firewall.