mem management between Debian and Red Hat?

I am setting up the WebTrends Enterprise Reporting Server on my Debian
box here.  It's for work and the only think this machine will be
running.  They say that the Linux version is for Red Hat.  I don't
buy that and am running Debian.  There is a problem that they haven't
seen there before and I lied and said I am running Red Hat since they
might not give me support if I say I am running Debian.  Now I think
that Linux is Linux is Linux, but the problem is that WebTrends runs
fine, but doesn't release the memory it uses even after you shut down
WebTrends.  Is there by any chance any difference between Debian and
Red Hat that might affect this?

Thanks.

-Ken, closet Debian user/admin :)

--