Re: mail setup with DSL

> I am on a small home network (5 static IPs) with a DSL connection
hosted
> by a company called DSLNetworks. My mail account is provided by a
separate
> ISP. What is the easiest way to set up my box to access this account?
None
> of the options in eximconfig seem to be quite right.

If you're using something like Netscape, Balsa, KMail, etc (or any
program that handles sending and receiving mail on it's own) for mail,
enter DSLNetworks POP server in the "incoming" field. It's usually
something similar to "pop.isp-name.com". In the "outgoing" field,
"smtp.isp-name.com". You'll need to enter your username and password for
the incoming server; you should not *normally* need to authenticate
yourself to the outgoing server.

If you're using something like mutt or pine, I'd suggest "fetchmail" for
retreiving your mail from your ISP. There's a "fetchmailconf" package
that will help set things up. Use exim to send mail, ideally using it's
"smart relay" ability. Run eximconfig again and enter DSLNetwork's SMTP
mail server's name when it prompts for it.

Regards
Hall Stevenson