Modules, Re: autoInsertion of es1371 module

Quoting Anthony Campbell (a.campbell@doctors.org.uk):

> > 	I simply put es1371 in /etc/modules so it loads at boot. This works
> > fine for all sounds on my system.

> Wouldn't it be simpler just to compile it into the kernel? This is what
> I do; in fact, I don't use modules at all.

I'm not sure why you're advocating people against using modules
(and, elsewhere, against people using the kernel-package to compile
their kernels).

Yes, it's much simpler not to use modules at all, just so long as

 . you don't want to configure a driver after PnP configuration
   has been completed,
 . you don't want to vary the configuration of a driver,
 . you don't want to run any drivers available only as modules,
 . you have a single machine or several that are almost identically
   configured,
 . you can tolerate the memory used by drivers that have to be
   included for your other machines or for unusual circumstances,
 . you don't have any hardware that is upset by other drivers'
   probing activities,
 . you don't intend to upgrade your machine or otherwise vary
   the hardware,
 . you don't meet the odd unusual filesystem or codepage,
 . you don't play with the experimental drivers, or develop new
   ones for unusual or custom hardware,
 . you're prepared to reboot if ever a driver goes awry.

I don't maintain a prepared list of benefits and disadvantages
(like Manoj does for the kernel-package) but those were just a
few of the benefits as I see them. Only the first doesn't apply
to me (all my machines being set up as non-PnP).

Cheers,