Re: apt-get update from cron?

To quote "Jonathan D. Proulx" <jon@ai.mit.edu>,
# Is there a way to tell apt-get to do an upgrade from limited sources
# (my local repository), without juggling /etc/apt/sources.list (I could
# move it swap in a different "safe" version, update, upgrade, swap
# back)

Well, you'd set up your testing workstation(s) with a regular
sources.list, pointing to the regular Debian repositories. 'apt-get
update && apt-get dist-upgrade' them manually, and check for problems.

Now, for the bulk of your workstations, I'd make their sources.list
contain only one line; the line pointing to your own server. On that
server, you'd have a repository(complete with Packages.gz and friends)
which would have the packages you know are good. I don't know how to
make such a repository, but I'm sure the tools are around. Packages[.gz]
has to be generated somehow ;)

That way, you can make the bulk of your workstations 'apt-get update &&
apt-get -qq -y upgrade'(or whatever flags you prefer) nightly,
automatically, and you can be sure the install will go well.

# The other alternative is a flat NFS directory with .debs for security
# fixes and a "dpkg --selected-only --skip-same-version
# --refuse-downgrade --install /deb/repository/*" in cron.

For a quick fix, that's what I'd do right there.

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)