Re: apt-get update from cron?

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 10:35:05PM -0500, David B. Harris wrote:

:It's never a good thing to wholly automate workstation upgrades. You
:should at least check the packages yourself, and *then* let the
:workstations have them.

You are quite right, but the simplicity is so tempting...and stable is
pretty stable.  Of course I won't be saying that the day the "bad
package" gets auto-installed quietly on 200 workstations.

Is there a way to tell apt-get to do an upgrade from limited sources
(my local repository), without juggling /etc/apt/sources.list (I could
move it swap in a different "safe" version, update, upgrade, swap
back)

The other alternative is a flat NFS directory with .debs for security
fixes and a "dpkg --selected-only --skip-same-version
--refuse-downgrade --install /deb/repository/*" in cron.

-Jon