Re: apt-get update from cron?

To quote "Jonathan D. Proulx" <jon@ai.mit.edu>,
# In this context I've been kicking around the idea of running
# apt-get update > /dev/null && apt-get -qq -y upgrade
# from /etc/cron.daily
#
# I'm wondering if anyone else is doing this and what the experience has
# been.

I guess it depends on which Debian distribution you track, and how much
you trust the packagers. I'd consider doing that on my home desktop
computer(but I don't), but I would never think about setting it up on
all the workstations at work. Too much risk.

However, if you made your own little apt repository, and made all the
workstations' sources.lists point there instead of the regular Debian
ones, you can test packages before you put them on the workstations.
When you're sure they're done, drop them into your local repository, and
off they go.

# I'm somewhat concerned that this may happen from cron as well, but
# these systems will be intel boxen with heads (atleast mostly).

It's never a good thing to wholly automate workstation upgrades. You
should at least check the packages yourself, and *then* let the
workstations have them.

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)