Re: "talk" doesn't

Philipp Schulte wrote:

On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 10:23:15PM -0600, Kent West wrote:

I can't get the "talk" program to work. Just as a test, I'm trying to talk to myself within X. I open two terminals, find which terminal is which with the "tty" command, and then from one terminal (say /dev/pts/0) I type "talk westk pts/1". The screen divides into two sections (upper and lower), the top reports "No connection yet" for a few seconds, and then reports "Checking for invitation on caller's machine" and just sits there forever. The other term never give any indication of being called.

Try setting "mesg y" sp connections are accpeted. See "man mesg" for
more information.
Phil

Forgot to include that in my description. mesg is already set to "y" (I've double- and triple-checked both ttys, several times.)

Thanks anyway!