Re: "talk" doesn't

Moritz Schulte wrote:

Kent West <westk@acu.edu> writes:

I can't get the "talk" program to work. Just as a test, I'm trying
to talk to myself within X.

[...]

The screen divides into two sections (upper and lower), the top
reports "No connection yet" for a few seconds, and then reports
"Checking for invitation on caller's machine" and just sits there
forever.

Is there something helpful in your log files (/var/log/syslog for
example)?

	moritz

Wow! Looking through the logs. What a concept!

Thanks Moritz; that gave me a clue.

syslog reports:
error: cannot execute /usr/sbin/in.ntalkd: No such file or directory

"locate ntalkd" returns nothing.