Re: vi - wraplen found

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001, Colin Watson wrote:
> *shrug* Depends what you like. I have to use all sorts of random vi
> clones at work. The ones on the various commercial Unices are pretty
> much original vi, and while I can use them well enough for simple tasks
> like configuration file editing they'd drive me nuts for programming and
> message editing. Multi-level undo, for one, is a must; syntax
> highlighting is pleasant though not essential; I've got into the habit
> of using cursor keys from time to time; and reformatting with 'gq' is
> quite useful. However, I like the vi command set in general.

The 'gq' (I have remapped to the old 'Q') for me is INVALUABLE.  I
admit that I use a limited number of vim capabilities, but most of
what I use I think is vim-specific.  I use it as my mutt editor and
the formatting makes replies and such a pleasure.  I could never do
some of the stuff like that with any email editor.  Split is also
something I often use.  Not in vi at least.  Same for tab completion
and multiple undo.  I can't believe how much I now rely on it.  When I
have to use vi or nvi, I really feel almost stranded.

-Ken

--
hazmat@hellrot.org            AIM: ScopusFest