imap package ignores MH style email folders (potato)

With mh style (directory) folders in ~/Mail, I tried several imap mail
user-agents, imp, postilion, and mutt, requesting (if needed)
the folders directory "Mail/", but all these imap-aware
user-agents responded essentially,
  "0 Messages"
then if I look for folders, I see all the following as folders
(that is, every file is treated as a folder, which is mbox folder style)