Re: imap package ignores MH style email folders (potato)

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Jameson C. Burt wrote:

> With mh style (directory) folders in ~/Mail, I used the imap mail
> user-agents imp, postilion, and mutt, giving (if needed)
> the folders directory "Mail/", but all user-agents responded essentially,
>   "0 Messages"
> then if I look for folders, I see all the following as folders
> (that is, every file is treated as a folder, which is mbox folder style)
>    context
>    inbox/.xmhcache
>    inbox/1	#an actual singular email message
>
> Here is a listing of all files in ~/Mail,
> files originally created for/using the "mh" mail-user agent "exmh",
>    ./:
>       .folders
>       context
>    ./drafts:	#empty directory
>    ./inbox:
>       .xmhcache
>       1
>
> Perhaps I need another file in this ~/Mail directory for imap
> to recognize mh folders.
> My ~/.mh_profile file mentioned
> in a University of Washington imap tar file's FAQ
> contains the lines,
>    draft-folder: drafts
>    unseen-sequence: unseen
> That UW FAQ also mentioned referring
> to mh mailboxes thru #mhinbox and #mh/, though my feeble attempts
> interpreting/trying these possibilities failed.
> Do I need to use any of these oddities?

Yes you do.  These are called IMAP namespaces.  mh folders are in a
different namespace than regular unix-style ones.

> Imap mail user-agents would, however, correctly recognize all mail
> when I created the following file with four email messages,
> 	~/mbox

In that case you are using the mbox driver not the mh one.

> I run imap package version 4.7c-1.
> Imap's binary imapd contains the string "mhdriver", hinting mh support.
> And the imap package file /usr/share/doc/imap/bugs.txt.gz
> contains the line,
>   "Supported local file formats: mbx, mh, mmdf, mtx, mx, news,
>    phile, tenex, unix"
> So, again, the imap package supposedly supports mh style folders.

It does indeed.

> But the imap package only mentions "mh" folders
> in the above bugs.txt.gz file and in the tmail manual page,
> so the imap package's brief mention of "mh" gives no hints
> on manually configuring/forcing imap for mh style folders.
>
> Do you have any idea how I can use MH style folders
> with the imap potato package?

Unfortunately, I use neither mh nor any of the lients you mention so I'm
afraid I can't be of much help to you.

However here's how you would specify an mh-style inbox with pine.

inbox-path={mail.braincells.com}#mhinbox

Perhaps that gives a hint?

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>