Re: how NOT to start x-session but x-window-manager instead

To quote Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com>,
#   I would like to start up x-window-manager instead. How to properly
# configure this in debian? remove all alternatives for
# x-session-manager?

If you're using 'startx', you can edit your ~/.xinitrc , and make it
executable(if it isn't already). It's a regular script - #!/bin/sh or
whatever else you'd like ;) So, if you wanted to use KDE2, it'd look
like:

#!/bin/sh
exec startkde

And there ya go ;) For me, it's rather more complex, as I use Sawfish
standalone, but for GNOME it'd be:

#!/bin/sh
exec gnome-sessionn

And unless I'm wrong, you should be able to use whatever program you
want for ~/.xinitrc . Maybe I'll use some Python, play for a bit ;)

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)