Re: Stability of testing

On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 08:50:14AM -0800, Bill Wohler wrote:
>   If the stability of stable is 10 and the stability of unstable is 1,
>   how would you rate the testing distribution? (This might be a useful
>   metric to post on the Debian site to help Debian users decide which
>   distribution is for them.)

This is all my opinion, of course ...

First, Debian unstable is about 6 or 7 if everyone else's unstable is
1 :)  I run unstable on my desktop and as long as I don't blindly
upgrade "just because", all is well.  This is an argument for apt-get
vs. dselect; see below.

To answer your quesion directly, I'd say testing is about 7 or 8 given
your constraints.

I don't agree that such a metric should be posted anywhere official;
it's 100% subjective opinion.  What's stable for me may be hell for
you.

>   Also, it would be nice to just update /etc/apt/sources.list and fire
>   off dselect to go from potato to woody, but I suppose folks here
>   will recommend that I use "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade"
>   instead.

You can do this if you like dselect.  I don't recommend it though
since it's easy to get in a situation where dselect decides to do
something you don't want to do, and unless you remember to type "Q"
dselect remembers it's choices!  apt-get get is stateless; if it tells
you it wants to remove 45 packages and you say "N", apt-get will not
try to remove those packages next time (at least, not due to some
cached state; if you provide the same information it will reach the
same conclusion of course)

Finally, I find apt-get more useful after adding the this to
/etc/apt/apt/conf:

 Apt::Get::Show-Upgraded "true";

This will show the names of all packages which apt wants to upgrade;
usually it merely says "192 packages upgraded" :)

HTH,

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.