Re: Stability of testing

Hey Bill, glad to know you're using Debian!

>   If the stability of stable is 10 and the stability of unstable is 1,

Well, unstable varies in stability from 0 to 9 quite frequently.
The trick is catching it at the right time.

>   how would you rate the testing distribution?

testing is meant to help `catch testing at the right time'.
Having said that, I'm still using potato just because I don't
want to use up too much bandwidth at work.  But now that testing
exists, I might start tracking it, uploading one a month or so.

(I have a small unstable chroot environment to build packages
meant for uploading to unstable).

>                                                (This might be a useful
>   metric to post on the Debian site to help Debian users decide which
>   distribution is for them.)

Hard to decide on that number...

>   Also, it would be nice to just update /etc/apt/sources.list and fire
>   off dselect to go from potato to woody, but I suppose folks here
>   will recommend that I use "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade"
>   instead.

I haven't used dselect in ages.  I _always_ get lost in it (I
suppose I should learn it properly).  So yeah, try apt-get and
get hooked like the rest of us.

Peter