Re: x on my laptop problems

Quoting Bob Rowe (rrowe@winstar.com):

> At 02:05 PM 01/21/2001 +0000, David Wright wrote:
> >Unfortunately it seems common for people to select their distribution
> >on the basis that it happens to install hitch-free; not the best in
> >my opinion.
>
> With that in mind, and also keeping in view the fact that all the Linux
> distributions are still Linux from where I sit, religious zeal about
> distributions gets in the way.

Gosh, I'd better tone down my comments if that comes over as
religious zeal!

> As for XF86Config, nothing in the file references fixed fonts. Not in
> startx of any of the .X* files in the system directories. The fixed ref is
> in the XF86_SVGA server (# strings XF86_SVGA shows the string "fixed" in a
> couple of places), so I have to find another one of those before I can get
> any distro to work.

It appears from this paragraph that, because the word "fixed" was in
the error message and is also to be found in the X server binary,
you're looking for that word in XF86Config.

But I said (in the non-religious section of my previous posting)
not that the word "fixed" should appear in XF86Config, but that
the critical line is
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
(and that line does not contain the word "fixed").

Similarly, I pointed out that, through the fonts.alias and fonts.dir
files, the X server's search for "fixed" is translated into a search
for a specific font, in my case 6x13.pcf.gz .

Put another way, there is not a font file called "fixed", nor one
whose name matches *fixed*, that satisfies the X server's requirement
for a fixed font - that would be far too inflexible. The font is
found by following the pointers I have described, so that by changing
the pointers, the system maintainer (defaulting to the Debian
maintainer) can choose any suitable font.

fixed
     ->
       -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1
          ->
            6x13.pcf.gz                  ^

                 ^             the X fontname chosen for the "fixed" font

         the filename of that font

Cheers,