Problems with IPmasq'ing server

Recently dumped my 486DX4/100 configuration for:

Pentium 133
Debian Linux (Unstable* w/2.2.17)
48MB RAM
2GB Fujitsu HDD
RTL8139B* 10/100 NIC
S3 ViRGE PCI video
SB16 sound (not set up - doing nothing)
56K V.90 external Rockwell chipset
onboard I/O
    /dev/modem -> /dev/ttyS0
    /dev/ttyS1 -> Wyse 60 terminal in vt100 mode
Network is 10.0.0.0/8
Broadcast is 10.255.255.255
Server is 10.254.254.254
DHCP range is 10.254.254.1->10.254.254.253

Windows client PC:

Pentium Pro 200
Windows 98 SE
96MB RAM
9GB IBM DDRS-39130D
S3 ViRGE + Diamond SII S220
FA311 10/100 NIC
Aureal AU8810 (I think)

Network:

Cat 5 cabling
NetGear FS105 switched hub

Set up fine, no disk errors etc.
Network connectivity between it and net seems fine.
It also worked fine when it was obtaining net connection off my windows
machine (Win98SE ICS).

HOWEVER when I then go and attempt to serve a net connection to the windows
machine, weird things start happening.

Yes I did uninstall Win98SE ICS.

Windows machine acquires IP from Linux box automatically no probs
DNS works fine
Connections can be made, SSH connections seem to be ok - maybe a little
lagged
Web + Email connections drop out/require frequent reloading/time out
No proxy setup configured

SSH'd to linux box, ran ping flood test.. 6% loss on 100 meg full duplex
ethernet - is this right?

Would like to use FA311 instead of RTL8139 - but couldn't figure out how to
get NetGear or Scyld.com National Semiconductor NIC chip driver modules
going - heaps of errors on compile, NetGear binary doesn't appear to be
compatible with my kernel version.

Almost tempted to switch server to 10Base2/T card - however all those I have
are ISA.

No strange messages in syslog, except it sometimes saying it can't find
net-pf-10 (IPv6) - have tried editing /etc/modutils/aliases to say alias
net-pf-10 off - but still pops up on occasion. Modem port speed dropped to
57600 from 115200. BSD compression disabled. Modem init string changed to
same one Windows uses. At least I guess now it's not whinging about not
being able to find char-major-108.

Maybe this is all a symptom of unstable vs. testing - not entirely sure how
to back down safely from unstable - tempted tonight to flush the bugger and
start again from stable then go to testing. If it's hardware I'm tempted to
drop PC out third storey window where I live - really had waaaay too much
fun with hardware issues of late :)

Any ideas welcome - I'd hate to have to keep Windows98SE ICS as my net
sharing server at home :)

ADFH