Re: Problems with IPmasq'ing server

On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 02:16:39PM +1100, hogan wrote:

:Windows machine acquires IP from Linux box automatically no probs
:DNS works fine
:Connections can be made, SSH connections seem to be ok - maybe a little
:lagged
:Web + Email connections drop out/require frequent reloading/time out
:No proxy setup configured
:
:SSH'd to linux box, ran ping flood test.. 6% loss on 100 meg full duplex
:ethernet - is this right?

NO!

my setup is a Debian PPro200 w/netgear tulip based card (10/100) -> netgear
ds108 (dual speed hub) -> Win P133 w/3com 10Mb card

13053 packets transmitted, 12939 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.4/8.9/33.6 ms

The PII 400 100Mb -> PII 400 100Mb Linux boxen through switch:
17483 packets transmitted, 17482 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.2/0.2/8.7 ms

:Would like to use FA311 instead of RTL8139 - but couldn't figure out how to
:get NetGear or Scyld.com National Semiconductor NIC chip driver modules
:going - heaps of errors on compile, NetGear binary doesn't appear to be
:compatible with my kernel version.

Not familar with your specific HW...

:Maybe this is all a symptom of unstable vs. testing - not entirely sure how
:to back down safely from unstable - tempted tonight to flush the bugger and
:start again from stable then go to testing. If it's hardware I'm tempted to
:drop PC out third storey window where I live - really had waaaay too much
:fun with hardware issues of late :)

I had similar issues probably due to MTU misconfig.  Try lowering the
MTU on the eth0 to match the ppp0 (1464?), that's kind of a shot in
the dark, what was sugested to me was lowering the MTU on my windows
box, but couldn't be bothered to learn enough about windows networking
and just installed squid on the Debian machine (ssh, the only other
net protocol I use from the windows machine works ok as is..go figure)

-Jon