Re: Ramen Net Worm alert !

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 09:54:09PM +0530, bish@nde.vsnl.net.in wrote:
:VIRUS ALERT!
:
:> * Ramen Net worm hobbles Linux servers
:>
:>     An Internet worm cobbled together from generally available
:>     hacking tools has compromised hundreds, perhaps thousands,
:>     of Linux servers.
:
:Those interested are welcome to visit the following URL.
:(There's some general info there without further technical
:details):
:
:http://www.zdnetindia.com/help/alerts/stories/12141.html?slink=nsl
:
:Apparently it targets RH-6.2 and RH-7 based servers but as
:of now does not seem to be destructive.
:
:Does anybody have any further info on this worm ?

rpc.statd, wu-ftpd, lprng sploits. 'apt-get update' and you're safe.

I actually have a tar file of what I presume is the worm, extracted
from a friend's RH7 server, haven't looked at it really though.

-Jon