Re: [OT] sound card recommendations

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 11:41:31AM -0500, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:

> Yes, the 4DWave is what I've now.  It's good, and cheap, and I do
> appreciate that they've supported free driver development.  I've bought
> 2 of their cards because of that.  However, the card isn't really
> appropriate for my needs.  The system will be an MP3 server so I need an
> unamplified line-out port (as it will eventually plug in to a stereo
> amp) and a good line-in.  The 4DWave's line-in is pretty bad.
> Definitely not something I'd use to record music from an audio tape.

Ouch!  I was just thinking about getting a 4DWave...Is the dirty line-in common to /all/ implementations of that chip, or do you have a bad one?

> It seems as though Creative is pretty good about releasing driver info
> on most of their cards.  There's a lot of support for them in ALSA, in
> any case.  They get pretty expensive, though.

Not too bad if you buy right.  Be warned, the Live! is a NOISY card, and consumes quite a bit more CPU than an es1371/3 does.  The 1373's are good; I'm just getting tired of mine.

--
-=|JP|=-    "This space intentionally left blank."
Jon Pennington          | Debian 2.4                 -o)