Why Debian Is Great!

Hi folks,

this could be meant as a reply to the "Why choose Debian?" thread, but I
haven't actually read it.  I've been too busy fiddling with my system
the last couple of days.

For over a year now, I have been using Debian slink on my home machine,
an old Pentium 133.  I have tried Linux in 1995 using a Slackware dist
that came with a book and then switched to SuSE (4.4 -> 6.0) until a
friend convinced me to give Debian a try.  Never looked back.

Well, last week I put my new machine into place (also an old Celeron
333, but mind you, I am just a poor little student and rather go out
than spending money on brand new hardware).  I put in the new potato
CDs, installed the base system and fetched KDE 2 from tdyc using
apt-get.

Wow!  Slink was easy to maintain, but talk about potato.  No more
dselect, totally easy network setup, etc.  I only had to edit 14 files
in /etc (like fstab, hosts, or X11/XF86Config) to reconfigure the new
system to match my old one.

This evening, I pointed to my sources.list file to woody, and went the
`apt-get update && apt -f dist-upgrade` path.  Came back two hours
later, answered some questions, ... and now I am sitting before my brand
new shining woody system.

Easy as pie!  Didn't break anything.

Compare this to the hassles I had with SuSE and now have with RedHat
which I have to admin on work.

So, if any of the Debian developers is reading this, I just want to
congratulate you.  Keep up your great work, as it is truly appreciated.

Bye now,
Viktor

(Now, if I could only get X to render my TrueType fonts.  Darn it, I
knew it was *too* easy!  :)
--
Viktor Rosenfeld
WWW: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~rosenfel/