Re: SSH

Benjamin Pharr wrote:

> While logging into my Debian box using ssh I noticed that it is setup to
> use SSH version 1 by default.  This protocol is widely known to have
> security problems.  Does anyone know why Debian is still using it?  Below I
> have pasted a link from the official ssh.org FAQ.

and which security "problems" are you referring to? i read every bugtraq
posting and have found nothing about ssh1. there is a new sniffer out
there
that can do a man-in-the-middle attack, but that is not a protocol
problem
it is an administrative problem(as was pointed out many times on
bugtraq).
and that sniffer will eventually be able to sniff ssh2 as well, but
again
it's not a protocol security problem. same goes for SSL. debian's
default
configuration immediatly drops connection to a host who's key has
changed
you have to go into the known_hosts and delete it manually. if you do
that and get caught by a sniffer its your own damn fault :)

if there are other security problems that have been uncovered in the
past
year(there are a couple that are older but that was long before openssh
even begun)..id like to know.

nate

--
:::