Re: re cdrw

I've had my cdrw drive for a while, I used it under
slink.  I guess the standard Debian kernels are a
little different now than under slink, or I just took
some information in the CDR howto a little to
verbatium.  Anyway I have always built my own kernels
with only what I needed in them and have only used the
stock kernel for the initial installation.  I do build
my kernels with many devices in modules.  So yes, I
stand corrected, however there is nothing wrong with
re-building the kernel to suit your needs.  Another
reason I build my own is to use a later kernel than
currently available as a .deb image.
--- "David A. Rogers" <darogers@xnet.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Kenneth Scharf wrote:
>
> > You must re-compile your kernel.  You also need to
> > REMOVE ide cdrom support, because the scsi
> emulation
> > will replace the ide cdrom driver.  This is needed
> > because CDRECORD only uses scsi protocol.  You
> will
> > then access the cdrom as /dev/scd0.  In my
> computer I
> > have a cdrw drive AND a real scsi cd rom drive.
> The
> > cdrom drive is now /dev/scd0 and the scsi cd rom
> drive
> > is /dev/scd1.  (YMMV, might depend on the order
> you
> > load modules).
>
> You do _not_ need to recompile the kernel.  The
> stock debian kernel is
> perfectly capable of running the ide-scsi as a
> module.  The only tricky part
> is that you have to reserve the cd writer.  This is
> done using the append
> statement as shown in the cd-writing howto.
> Couldn't be easier and doesn't
> require recompiling the kernel.
>
> dar

=====