vi in ssh window

Hi,
When I ssh in to my debian potato system and try to do something like vi,
or dselect, the screen messes up.  For example, the vi status line occurs
at the top of the screen, and I can't see the line the cursor is currently
on.  In dselect the same type things happen, stuff gets printed on lines
previous or after where it should be.  It makes it really hard to use
remotely.  Is this something wrong with my term settings?  Any ideas?

thanks

--
-bob

Remember the... the... uhh.....
* Robert Kerr, The morphing guy.  *    MS 0847 Sandia National Labs  *
* rakerr@sandia.gov               *    Albuquerque NM 87185-0847     *
* Robert_Kerr@byu.edu             *      Phone: (505) 844-8606       *
* http://www.et.byu.edu/~kerrr    *      Fax: (505) 844-9297         *