Re: vi in ssh window

"Robert Kerr" <kerrr@et.byu.edu> writes:
> When I ssh in to my debian potato system and try to do something like vi,
> or dselect, the screen messes up.  For example, the vi status line occurs
> at the top of the screen, and I can't see the line the cursor is currently
> on.  In dselect the same type things happen, stuff gets printed on lines
> previous or after where it should be.  It makes it really hard to use
> remotely.  Is this something wrong with my term settings?  Any ideas?

No, I think there's a bug still hanging around in potato. It's a known
issue though. I remember this working fine in potato-pre-stable and
then getting broken after an apt-get upgrade. Anyway, take a look at:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=54833&repeatmerged=yes

My own solution is, right after I log in, doing:

export TERM=vt100 (assuming Bourne shell here, like bash)

and then all is right with the world. I think you lose some
capabilities using vt100 instead of xterm, but I haven't noticed
anything radical.

Gary