From: Josep Llauradó Selvas [mailto:darlock@tinet.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2001 4:53 PM
To: Joris Lambrecht
Cc: 'Benjamin Pharr'; debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: RE: SSH

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Joris Lambrecht wrote:

     Only SSH 1 is OPEN. From what i recall SSH2 and following are licensed
     (payware)

     check out www.ssh.com or www.openssh.org

Sorry, but I think you don't read the FAQ from www.openssh.com:

--------------------------- From faq.html ---------------------------------

5.OpenSSH does not support any patented transport algorithms.

In SSH1 mode, only 3DES and Blowfish can be selected. In SSH2 mode, only
3DES, Blowfish, CAST128 or Arcfour can be selected at the current
time. The patented and dated IDEA algorithm is not supported.

This difference may manifest itself in the ssh command refusing to read
configuration files left over from a previous installation of commercial
SSH.

Solution: Edit /etc/ssh/ssh_config and select a different Cipher option
("3des" or "blowfish").

As you can see, there isn't any support to patented algorithms, thereby I
don't know why the debian doesn't upgrade the version of ssh...

     greetings,

     J.L.