Re: Ethernet config

Your questions may not be aimed at me but at Lorint Hendschel;
however, here are my experiences:

Quoting Joris Lambrecht (jlambrec@landis.be):

> why not change your network cable ?

I did. (Not because anything was broken, but because the institution
moved from thin ethernet to cat5.) The problem persisted.

> A broken card ?

Possibly. The first card I had did not have this problem, but it was
running W95. Then I got a batch of four cards (by this time I was
running linux) and they were all the same.

I *dimly* recall once reading that autoselect difficulties were
specific to linux, but I don't want to libel becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov !

> Just make sure to turn on/off pnp/os installed in your bios (one setting
> WILL work)

Agreed, I always have "Boot with PnP OS" deselected in the CMOS screens
and PnP disabled in the NIC itself.

Cheers,