Re: Debian GNU/Hurd?

<debuser@platinum.globalmart.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Colin Watson wrote:
>> csj <csj@mindgate.net> wrote:
>> >From a tip given somewhere on this list, I typed:
>> >
>> ># apt-get dist-upgrade -s
>> >
>> >And lo and behold came the following output:
>> [...]
>> >Inst diff [shellutils on hurd]
>> [...]
>> >What does the "shellutils on hurd" mean?
>>
>> The shellutils package depends on 'login | hurd',

My mistake; I should have said pre-depends. apt wouldn't comment on
ordinary dependencies. 'dpkg -p shellutils' has the details.

>> since on the hurd-i386 architecture the hurd package provides the
>> functionality of the login package on other architectures. I think
>> apt is just giving you an informational notice that there's an
>> unsatisfied dependency on hurd, but, since (a) it can't install that
>> package and (b) it doesn't matter anyway as login will do, it doesn't
>> do anything about it.
>
>Actually, I think it's just a minor bug in apt-get.

Why do you think it's a bug? Looking at the source code
(apt-0.3.19/apt-pkg/algorithms.cc, line 66), it seems pretty clear - the
code notes the existence of pre-dependencies (which it can be useful to
know about in simulation mode), and will then die if there are any
conflicts that would get in their way. Maybe I was confusing when I
mentioned dependencies instead.