Re: 386-4 MB startup question

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 11:01:40AM -0500, DSC Lithuania wrote:
> >From your Debian 2.2 documentation, it looks like 2.2 requires a minimum of 12 MB of Ram.

Right. But there's a work-around. Install some earlier release (e.g. slink
(2.1 as far as I remember) and upgrade using:
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
That's the way, I installed potato on a 8MB i486. It should also work on a 4MB
i386 (But take care, that you don't put too much load on the machine:
shut down virtual consoles (3 should be enough for your purposes, so comment
out the 3 other initially activated ones in inittab)
run only essential stuff (so don't run gpm, atd, lpd and the like, if you don't
really need it))
Don't know, if apt-getting is possible with your 1.3.1 (it should be possible
to upgrade the system to some later release, but it might be a bit more
difficult).

> So that wouldn't be good for us.  Likewise, I tried looking at the "small" 2-MB version of Debian
> that is supposed to be available, but the server seems down, so that isn't available at the moment.

Havn't heard of it up to now, might be an alternative.

> From the Floppy Install, we put the rescue disk in and booted up.  The system came up to the initial
> options page (where you can put command line options, or look at the F1-F5 help pages).  After
> hitting Enter, it said "Loading Root.Bin ... Loading Linux .... uncompressing Linux ... booting kernal ...  Ramdisk: Compressed image found at Block 0".  And that is where it would stop forever after.  Note that it would never give me a chance to put the LMEMROOT disk in, or acknowledge that it was low on memory.

Don't know how it worked with 1.3.1, but can you boot from the LMEMROOT disk?
As far as I remember, in slink, you had to boot from the lomem-disk, to get
the initial system up and running.
Regards,
Daniel