Re: cdrecord problems

To quote Benjamin Pharr <benpharr@freedom2000net.com>,
# I'm still having difficulties getting my cd writer to work.  Here is
what
# I've done so far:
#
# Recompiled my (2.4.0) kernel with scsi-emulation and scsi
# support.  IDE-CDROM support is compiled in statically.
#
# 1. apt-get install cdrecord
# 2. Added append="hdd=ide-scsi" to my /etc/lilo.conf
# 3. Ran lilo
# 4. Added alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi to /etc/modutils/aliases
# 5. Ran update-modules
#
# When I reboot everything seems to load just fine, no errors or
anything.  I
# get the following messages at boot time:
#
# . . .
# ide_setup: hdd=ide-scsi
# . . .
# hdd: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-408B, ATAPI CDROM drive
#
# When I run "cdrecord -scanbus" I still get no devices.  If I comment
out
# the "append" in lilo.conf hdd is mentioned once more at boot time, so
# something is happening, I'm just not sure what.  Can anyone help me
get
# this thing fixed?  Thanks in advance!

Before people start telling you to not compile-in IDE-CDROM support, to
start adding lines to lilo.conf etc., here's what I did; In the
appropriate section of lilo.conf, I added:

append = "ignore=hdd hdd=ide-scsi"

The "ignore=hdd" tells the IDE code to ignore HDD. Trust me, it works. I
know you're probably pissed at everyone else telling you to do different
things, but please try this. It should work. If it doesn't, *please* let
me know. :)

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)