cdrecord problems

I'm still having difficulties getting my cd writer to work. Here is what I've done so far:

Recompiled my (2.4.0) kernel with scsi-emulation and scsi support. IDE-CDROM support is compiled in statically.

1. apt-get install cdrecord
2. Added append="hdd=ide-scsi" to my /etc/lilo.conf
3. Ran lilo
4. Added alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi to /etc/modutils/aliases
5. Ran update-modules

When I reboot everything seems to load just fine, no errors or anything. I get the following messages at boot time:

. . .
ide_setup: hdd=ide-scsi
. . .
hdd: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-408B, ATAPI CDROM drive

When I run "cdrecord -scanbus" I still get no devices. If I comment out the "append" in lilo.conf hdd is mentioned once more at boot time, so something is happening, I'm just not sure what. Can anyone help me get this thing fixed? Thanks in advance!

Ben Pharr