Re: cdrecord problems

Brian Frederick Kimball wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>
> > > Here's his problem:

> > >                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > Should just be "hdd=scsi".  Search for "=scsi" in
> > > linux/Documentation/Configure.help for more info.
> >
> > Uhh, you sure about that?
>
> Argh, RTFM!  I even told you where to look!

RTFM yourself.  That's where I got the quote I sent in my previous message.
Here's the entire entry for SCSI emulation.

SCSI emulation support
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI
  This will provide SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices,
  and will allow you to use a SCSI device driver instead of a native
  ATAPI driver.

  This is useful if you have an ATAPI device for which no native
  driver has been written (for example, an ATAPI PD-CD or CDR drive);
  you can then use this emulation together with an appropriate SCSI
  device driver. In order to do this, say Y here and to "SCSI support"
  and "SCSI generic support", below. You must then provide the kernel
  command line "hdx=scsi" (try "man bootparam" or see the
  documentation of your boot loader (lilo or loadlin) about how to
  pass options to the kernel at boot time) for devices if you want the
  native EIDE sub-drivers to skip over the native support, so that
  this SCSI emulation can be used instead. This is required for use of
  CD-RW's.

  Note that this option does NOT allow you to attach SCSI devices to a
  box that doesn't have a SCSI host adapter installed.

  If both this SCSI emulation and native ATAPI support are compiled
  into the kernel, the native support will be used.

Part way through is what you sent, at the end is what I sent.  To me this
particular passage is self-contradictory.  At one point it says you can, and
then goes on to say that you can't.  Which portion am I to believe?

Then there's the matter of whether it's hdx=scsi or hdx=ide-scsi  One source
says one thing, another says another thing.  What's more confusing is they
*both* *work*.  You got your's right from the kernel docs - an authoratative
source, to be sure.  I got mine from the CD-Writing HOWTO - not an
authoritative source, but it does work.

> Also, my own configuration is proof that this works:

And my configuration is proof that what I said works.

hal9000:~$ dmesg
Linux version 2.4.0-try1 (root@hal9000) (gcc version 2.95.3 20001229 (prerelease)) #2 Fri Jan 5 22:23:35 EST 2001
<snip>
Kernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=linux2.4/fb ro root=301 BOOT_FILE=/vmlinuz-2.4.0-try1 hdc=ide-scsi video=atyfb:1024x768,font:8x16
ide_setup: hdc=ide-scsi
<snip>
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
Configuring Adaptec (SCSI-ID 7) at IO:334, IRQ 11, DMA priority 5
scsi0 : Adaptec 1542
  Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: CD-ROM CR-8005A   Rev: 4.0i
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: HP        Model: CD-Writer+ 9100   Rev: 1.0c
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

hal9000:~# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.17
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
	0,0,0	  0) 'HP      ' 'CD-Writer+ 9100 ' '1.0c' Removable CD-ROM
	0,1,0	  1) 'MATSHITA' 'CD-ROM CR-8005A ' '4.0i' Removable CD-ROM
	0,2,0	  2) *
	0,3,0	  3) *
	0,4,0	  4) *
	0,5,0	  5) *
	0,6,0	  6) *
	0,7,0	  7) *

At this point, I'd say that this is another case of TMTOWTDI (There's More
Than One Way To Do It).  Your way works, my way works.  Either way, a
working system can be had.  And isn't that what really counts here?
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.