Re: cdrecord problems

Brian Frederick Kimball wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>
> > Benjamin Pharr wrote:
> > > I'm still having difficulties getting my cd writer to work.  Here is what
> > > I've done so far:
> > >
> > > Recompiled my (2.4.0) kernel with scsi-emulation and scsi
> > > support.  IDE-CDROM support is compiled in statically.
> >             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > There's your problem.  For the SCSI emulation to work you have to remove the
> > IDE CDROM support.
>
> No you don't.

Yes, I did indeed have conflicts between the IDE CDROM support and the SCSI
emulation.  Took me quite some time to get it sorted out.  Ah, here we go.
Found it.  From the help blurb in the SCSI emulation section of make
menuconfig:

If both this SCSI emulation and native ATAPI support are compiled into the
kernel, the native support will be used.

So, take out the built-in IDE CDROM support and all will be well.

> Here's his problem:
>
> > > 2. Added append="hdd=ide-scsi" to my /etc/lilo.conf
>                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Should just be "hdd=scsi".  Search for "=scsi" in
> linux/Documentation/Configure.help for more info.

Uhh, you sure about that?  Here's the stanza from my lilo.conf on the system
where I have an IDE CDRW drive being used via SCSI emulation:

image=/vmlinuz-2.4.0-try1
	label=linux2.4/fb
	read-only
	vga=792
	append="hdc=ide-scsi video=atyfb:1024x768,font:8x16"

This is the stanze from the kernel I am currently running.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.