Re: Making PDF files from dvi

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 08:15:37PM -0800, Jim McCloskey wrote:

> |>  It's dvipdfm actually, located in the package by the same name. I
> |>  love it work.
>
> No, there *is* a program dvipdf (part of tetex).
>
> In addition to this, though, there does seem to be a separate package
> dvipdfm (which I hadn't known about before your message: thank you).
>
> It's only available in unstable though---not in testing or in stable.
>
> Is its principal advantage that it has better support for inclusion of
> JPEG and PNG files and that it does a better job of displaying
> bitmapped fonts? That's what its web-page seems to suggest,

It will use Type1 fonts (and embed them) which makes the bitmap font
ugliness go away.  It supposed to understand the hyperref specials as
well (so cross-references, TOC page numbers, etc. become inter-document
links -- nice).  The nice thing about dvipdf(m) is the fonts and the
direct line from dvi to pdf.  I'm fuzzy recalling if dvipdf[m] turns eps
graphics into bitmapped images or if vector and font properties are
preserved (this can be a big deal and an advantage of the dvips, ps2pdf
route).  pdf[e]latex doesn't accept eps graphics, which marks it down in
my book.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>