Re: running another X from within X

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 05:55:40PM -0500, Brian Stults wrote:
:Is it possible from within X to start another session of X on a diffent
:console?  I know I can just Ctrl-Alt-F2, login, and then startx.  Then I
:could toggle between Ctrl-Alt-F7 and Ctrl-Alt-F8.  However, I would like
:to accomplish the same thing without dropping down to a console.  When I
:try to do this from an xterm, I get a message about not being authorized
:to run the X server.  Root, however, can do it.  Any suggestions?

Xnest is useful for testing some config stuff, as are the virtual
desktops most window managers have for getting more realestate.

If you really want to start a full xsession though, you'll need to
edit /etc/X11/Xserver, the file:

---
/usr/bin/X11/XFree86
Console

The first line in this file is the full pathname of the default X server.
The second line shows who is allowed to run the X server:
RootOnly
Console      (anyone whose controlling tty is on the console)
Anybody
---

I don't know if this is XF86-4.0 specific or not as I discovered it
after my upgrade, 3.3.x may have something similar elsewhere, but I'm
not sure.

-Jon