Re: running another X from within X

>Is it possible from within X to start another session of X on a diffent
>console?  I know I can just Ctrl-Alt-F2, login, and then startx.  Then I
>could toggle between Ctrl-Alt-F7 and Ctrl-Alt-F8.  However, I would like
>to accomplish the same thing without dropping down to a console.  When I
>try to do this from an xterm, I get a message about not being authorized
>to run the X server.  Root, however, can do it.  Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks,
>Brian

I've found 2 different things that work.  One is by running Xnest.  (perhaps
I'm not doing it right, but I seem to have to start up the window manager
seperately when I do that)  That allows you to start a new X session in a
window within your current one.  "man Xnest" for details.

My other method is that I have startx aliased to "startx -- :1" for my root
account, so if I need a root X session, I can just pop open an xterm, su to
root, type startx, and it automatically starts a new X session in the next
display (F8)  I then can switch between the two like normal (Ctrl+Alt+Fn),
and when I exit it, it automatically drops me back to my other X display.  I
find this to work the best, buf if you need both X sessions on the screen at
the same time, use Xnest.

HTH,
Jeremy