AAARGH - Re: cdrecord

>> In /etc/lilo.conf:
>>
>> append="hdX=ide-scsi" # where X is the letter assigned to that unit
>>
>> In /etc/modutils/local:
>>
>> alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi # assuming you don't have any /real/ SCSI cards
>>
>> Run lilo, reboot, and run `cdrecord -scanbus'; your drive should show up.  YMMV.
>
>	Also to generate the alias in modules.conf you run update-modules.
>If the kernel config shows IDECD is a module then you don't need to append
>in lilo.conf.You can rmmod ide-cd if its loaded.
>--

I've been reading this with a lot of interest as i'm a bout to receive a nice new AOpen ATAPI CD-RW.

there seems to be conflicting info going around. Can SCSI emulation be done with modules or does it require a re-compile?

when stupid people like me are asking (you can tell because our questions are like this one!) its safe to assume we are running a stock kernel.